Saturday, March 7, 2015

Day 7 (3/5): Los Cuernos to Campamento Torres (16 km, 10 miles)

Our calm evening transitioned to rain and wind overnight. Sure, the rain brings nice rainbows but I didn't sleep well, thinking our tent was going to blow away, and so in the morning, I decided I was over it. Over the rain, the wind, the cold, the pack, the hiking.  
 A delicious granola breakfast and a somewhat clear sky made me feel better though and we left around 1030 to Torres. We ate lunch at the shortcut turnoff to Chileno and had snippets of sun before climbing up and up and back in to the clouds and rain. 
We had met up with our San Diego friends and were sad to leave them in the warmth of their Refugio as we slogged another hour up to free campsite Torres. Thankfully, this at least meant we only had an hour hike up to Torres to watch the sunrise tomorrow. We quickly set up our tent before the rain got heavy again and cooked up our last dehydrated meal. Thank goodness we brought those from the US! They were so perfect for this backpacking trip. Unfortunately, it kept raining and again, I was so over it so we went to bed early with all our layers on (we are back up at 600 meters so I predicted a cold night ahead). This sunrise better be good tomorrow!
Going to sleep all bundled up and it was still light out.
PS- I realized I only took a few photos today because of the rain and again, I was over it.  Thankfully Mark was very motivating and I don't think I would have gone all the way up to Torres without his encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment